I belong to the people I love, and they belong to me. They, and the love and loyalty I give them, form my identity far more than any word or group ever could
Veronica Roth, Allegiant
Never have I ever seen my friends more camera-shy than when I asked them for their help on this project. But because I love them all so dearly (I also didn’t feel like chasing them around with a camera), I was resigned to being a total creep and stalking them on Facebook on a quest for the perfect photos to use.
“Beautiful, to me, means anything that is extraordinary and breathtaking. ‘Beautiful’ is not just used to describe a thing; it can also be used to describe a great concept or an idea. Beautiful can be a sparkly dress, the stars in the sky, or an amazing idea for work, like the next big innovation or product or invention. ‘Beautiful’ is not just another word for ‘pretty’ because pretty is not as great as beautiful. Beautiful is way greater, and much greater than that. Beautiful is marriage. Beautiful is the sunset.”
Allie and I have been best friends since our middle school days at St. Paul the Apostle School in Richardson. We even ended up attending the same high school, too! She’s currently at the University of Texas at Arlington finishing up her degree in Exercise Science.
What makes Allie beautiful:
- She’s a strong woman of faith who always trusts God first above everyone and everything else
- She’s my person
- She’s one of the most loving, caring and accepting people I’ve ever met
- She’s an avid runner and a fellow health nut
- She loves all of the animals
- She can totally pass Anatomy & Physiology II with nothing but style and grace (good luck on all of your finals, girl!)
“Something meaningful is beautiful, and something that can catch my attention with color, shape and aesthetics.”
Of course, Yuting somehow made her way into another one of my posts…
I first met Yuting about a year ago in Anatomy & Physiology I. We also took the second half of Anatomy & Physiology together over the summer. As there’s never a dull moment to be had in such a class, Yuting and I – along with another one of our classmates (you know who you are) – often found ourselves spending an inordinate amount of time camping out in the library, learning the names of literally every bone, muscle and organ system in the human body.
What makes Yuting beautiful:
- She’s an amazing musician
- She can make you laugh without even trying to be funny
- She’s got a fabulous sense of style
- She works hard, but she also knows how to let loose and have some fun
- She never fails to run into at least 7 people she knows, no matter where we go
- Did I mention that she’s an amazing musician?
“Beauty is the balance of harmony with nature. Anyone or anything can be considered beautiful because beauty is said to be in the eye of the beholder. Beauty provides us with the experience of satisfaction and pleasure, although it varies, and comes in many shapes and forms. It shows the vast perceptions of the world.”
I’ve also known Alex since high school, although we actually didn’t become close friends until the beginning of our senior year. He’s currently teaching tennis and is working on either becoming a commercial pilot, or going to work in air traffic control.
What makes Alex beautiful:
- He can fly a plane
- I repeat, the dude flies. planes.
- He’s a really good tennis player
- He’s one of the most kindhearted men I know
- He actually knows what kefir is
- He’s a fellow Bob’s Burgers fan
(You’re still getting me that “Many Moods of Tina” shirt, right? Okay, cool.)
“Beauty, to me, has to be intricate and fascinating. It has to have that special wow factor. For something to be beautiful, it has to capture my attention in a way that things usually don’t. Science is beautiful. The human body is beautiful. Life is beautiful”
Ryan is also a fan of Anatomy & Physiology, especially the word ‘allantois’, which loosely translates into “little fucker”.
What makes Ryan beautiful:
- He’s very smart and has dreams of being an orthopedic surgeon
- He has fabulous taste in music
- He’s good at basketball
- He’s one-third of The A&P Dream Team, the official name of our study group
- He is, in fact, Yuting’s twin
“It means I’m the baddest bitch, and I’m very smart and talented. And awesome. And what I find for beautiful is that beauty is to make you look better, so you tell people they beautiful. That makes them smile.”
This just won the entire Internet. Hands down, the single best answer to any question that’s ever been asked. Forget everything else you just read because this is it.
Emilio is one of my coworkers, and we’re always cutting up and having fun back in the deli and bakery department.
What makes Emilio beautiful:
- He loves Jesus
- He drops the donuts that we just made on the floor … and then proceeds to put them back
- He’s caring, and always willing to help out and go the extra mile at work
- He’s a certified Pizza Guru
- He stays ready to fight with anyone, anywhere, in any way, at any time, especially with She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
(Emilio, I expect you to be on your absolute best behavior while I’m away on leave, okay? Keep it classy, my friend.)